Thursday, February 16, 2012

Bygones ...



I never thought that I would be giving this subject more than a passing thought, much less take the time to blog about it but frankly, I’m getting fed up. I really think that it’s time to get off the ‘Let’s bash Chris Brown’ wagon, people. Yes, he did a bad. He did a very very bad. In the three years since, he has displayed remorse and submitted himself to court ordered punishment. So when is enough enough? His recent win at the Grammys has been decried by both his peers and those outside the business. Having listened to the CD more than once (thanks to my daughter being an ardent CB fan), I personally think he was deserving of the award. Everyone is also up in arms at his having been allowed to perform twice during the Grammy show. Obviously, the show’s organizers believe it’s time he return. And if you watched his performance, it is hard to deny that the boy is talented.

Again, I am not condoning his actions. I believe any man who raises his hand to a woman is a coward and a real dick and should have the crap beaten out of him by any male friends or family of the female victim. But should Chris Brown be denied a career as a result of being stoopid in that moment? I don’t believe he should. If you do, perhaps a reminder of these following incidents will show how easy the public is to forgive some for the perpetrators' trespasses …

R Kelly starred in a sex tape with a 14 yr old, Since the 2002 incident, his career has continued and he has garnered several awards.

Sean Penn assaulted his then wife, Madonna. Today, he’s a respected actor, director, screenwriter and activist.

Roman Polanski drugged and raped a 13 year old, fled the US in 1978 before he was sentenced and has continued to sustain his career from afar, continuing to win awards for his work.

Sugar Ray Leonard beat his wife but was still recently chosen to appear on Dancing with the Stars.

Jerry Lee Lewis was 22 when he married his 13 year old cousin (although he insisted she was 15, because THAT made it better!) but went on to have a huge rock ‘n roll career, garnering several accolades.

Jimmy Page was 28 while having an affair with a 14 year old but sustained his fame as Led Zeppelin’s guitarist.

Tupak Shakur spent time behind bars for his part in a gang-rape but his estate continues to make money years after his death.

Michael Jackson, accused pedophile who avoided prosecution by paying off the families of his young victims, is still revered as the King of Pop.

Whitney Houston, known drug abuser, is being honoured worldwide since her death.

Eminem, accused of domestic abuse, sings about murdering his wife and violence against gays and yet continues a very lucrative career.

James Brown was convicted of battering TWO of his wives but was still presented with Kennedy Center honours.

Kobe Bryant, accused of rape, settled the civil suit out of court and is still continues to play professional basketball.

Steven Tyler had an affair with a 15 yr old, has sustained a rock career and embarked on a reality show career.

And the list goes on, but I'm thinking my point is made. 

10 comments:

Lou said...

We have changed as a society, but my only caveat to this is that if the person has "atoned", "done his/her time" etc., then we are as you stated more likely to let bygones be bygones. It may/will get thrown in the person's face, but that's part of the consequence of being a celebrity.
Is it a double-standard compared to the average person like you and me? Oh yes. But celebrities are not seen in that way, and therefore seem to operate with slightly different rules.

Ruzica said...

Sorry but I am not a fan of Chris Brown. I do not like most R&B and I especially don't listen to commercial music made up of sirupy ballads. Just not my cup of tea.

Lainey said...

But the point is that he HAS atoned, Lou, and yet continues to be vehemently retried ad nauseum for his past. I think focus would be better placed on the girls tweeting about how they would welcome being hit by Chris Brown rather than flogging him for what's been done and legally settled.
And I'm no fan of his music either, Ruz - this was more about the attention the media has been giving to what I consider to be an old story. My examples were to illustrate that people can do bad but go on to do better and even have their pasts overlooked. I think it's time to do the same with Chris Brown.

GaryB. AKA Thing 2 said...

I don't know. I'm seeing your point, yet I can't get out of my head the fact that he beat the crap out of a girl. Not, hit, or slapped. Beat up. I'm just not ready to forgive yet. If he was an "average Joe", wouldn't he be living with the stigma for the rest of his days?

Lainey said...

And yet the people I made examples of seem to have been forgiven ...
I'm of the mind that if he were an 'average Joe', we might not even know of his assault. Do you know the criminal background of all your neighbors, Gary ... or even your friends? I daresay that if we were privy to the background checks of those around us, our FB friend lists would be culled down to a dozen or so ... if even THAT many!

Terry said...

forgive others, just don't forget....I see your point of view, the media needs to drop something and move on....like beating a dead horse already.....

Walter said...

Nobody is perfect and sure we all have a few skeletons here and there, but we learn from these mistakes and maybe for most, change and become better people. As far as celebrities go, one can forgive, enjoy their talents and sure they deserve to make a living after having paid their dues, but the "black mark" sticks. When I saw CB do his thing @ the Grammys, yeah this boy can do it, but in my mind is, "This is the guy that beat the crap out of Rhianna." My wife says so, my kids say so, but they also say, "Yep, he can move."

Rorschach said...

Well said, Elaine

Anonymous said...

The latter half of the post answers the question in the first half.

All of the celebrities used as examples were vilified and eventually the media went dormant waiting for their future indiscretions. That's the way it has always worked. And that's the way it'll work with Brown.

Forgiveness and forgetfulness take time. In twenty years you can edit your post, add Brown to your list of examples and insert the latest celebrity's name into his spot.

Lainey said...

Well,the victim has already forgiven the abuser ... yesterday, she answered his happy b'day tweet and today, it was announced that they are collaborating on each other's remixes. And the beat goes on!