Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Best date ever!


I'm sure that like me, you have been on some pretty retched dates. Outings, that either because of the company or the activity, make you wince when you recall them now. (One of mine? RL in my days at CEGEP. Smart and handsome, he asked me out and we met for drinks. After the waitress (because that's what they were called back in the old days!) deposited our beverages and quoted the amount due, RL sat there like a stone. I looked at him, up at the waitress, back at him, back to the waitress and back at him. I could almost hear the hands on a clock marking the seconds in my head as we all waited for something to happen. Yes, crickets were chirping! He finally reached into his back pocket for his wallet and paid the tab. After the waitress walked away, he calmly asked, 'So, am I going to have to pay for your drinks ALL night?' Wow. HE asked ME out. And back in those days, guys paid on dates! I'm not sure I overcame the feeling of being stunned for the rest of the evening and frankly, it couldn't have ended fast enough. Despite it all, amazingly, he tried to get it on with me in the Boulevard Shopping Center parking lot before depositing me at home. Yeah, like THAT was going to happen!)

Best dates? I'm lucky to be able to say that I have quite a few to look back fondly on, especially recently. My latest was just a lil while back. My son, Jordan, came home and asked me if I'd like to accompany him to the car show. My heart melted! I have a 20 year old son who actually wants to spend time with me! In public! Without me having to beg him to do so! And he knew it was an outing that I'd really appreciate! If you're a woman who has raised young men, you know I'm not exaggerating at how touched I was/am.

That Saturday, Jordan, his girlfriend Érika and I made our way down to the Palais de Congrès (truly the ugliest building in all on Montreal ... don't get me started!) via the metro. I sat down while Jordan and Érika stood and we had only made two stops before I became aware of a drunk sitting behind me, one seat over. At that same moment, a blind man got on and I quickly gave him my seat. The drunk continued both sides of his own lil conversation, pausing often to chortle at some hilarious thing he had said. It wasn't long before he weaved his way over and plopped down beside the blind guy, somehow managing not to stumble over the guide dog on the floor. Having found a rather captive audience, he did what all drunks do ... he threw his arm around the man and proceeded to loudly talk to him from about 3/4 of an inch away. All the passengers watched uncomfortably and it was then that the kids and I noticed the huge wet stain on the front of the drunk's pants. One o'clock in the afternoon and someone is already drunk enough to piss themselves. Wow. Eventually, the blind guy got up and the drunk then started drinking out of the biggest beer bottle I've ever seen that he had hidden in his jacket. A few stop later, the drunk got up and waited patiently for the door to open; he didn't get out but a young woman got on and sat down in the seat he had been sitting in only moments before. Yeah, in those nasty pissy pants of his. I swore at that moment to never ever EVER sit down in the metro again! At our stop, the drunk disembarked as well and dragged himself up the stairs, losing himself in the huge crowd.

I-I-I shwear! You're my new besht friend, sherioushly!

Everyone and their brother had decided to go to the car show that day. But it was amazing! Gorgeous, hot cars everywhere! Twice, I was approached by salesmen, who I quickly handed off to my own car salesman son. Bonus! It was fun being there with a man who is actually knowledgeable about cars - kind of like having my own personal tour guide!

Lotus Exige 

Lamboghini Aventador

Aston Martin

Subaru BRZ

Honda CRX  (this one made me miss my old car)

Bugatti Veyron

Jordan in his 'Gawd, I hope to own one of these one these days' BMW 135


Nissan's electric race car


Ferrari

It was such an enjoyable afternoon. But I would have been just as thrilled with a walk around the block or a trip to the supermarket.

Because my son asked me to spend the afternoon with him.


1 comment:

Terry said...

just love the cars..I love going to car shows too...we went to the Jacob Javitz center one year in NYC....same class of cars pictured here...have you gotten another car?...don't you have a Honda?......fun read, always enjoy..:)