Monday, February 27, 2012

My fight against literary progress ...

I have had a lifelong love affair with books. I was read to by my parents, as are most children; later, I sat at Miss Gilpin's feet during story time in my kindergarten class. Learning to read on my own was having a door open to endless adventures in limitless worlds. I read during every waking moment; if it included a printed word, I read it. Shampoo bottles while I was in the bath, cereal boxes during breakfast, signs in store windows on my way to school, billboards as my parents drove me around. The end of the school year meant a trip to the local library to load up with enough books to last the summer, although they never did. The time spent looking over the many shelves full of choices, finally making my decisions, watching my library card being stamped before carrying the armload of books to the car are memories I still hold dear. Not being able to wait to reach our destination, I would read in the car, much to my parents' chagrin. 'Put that book down! You'll ruin your eyes reading in the car! Look at the scenery instead!'

I still have a few of those books from my childhood, along with a lot of others I haven't been able to part with. The rest have been donated to schools, hospitals or given away to friends or family - a chance to entertain others after their work with me was done. I have thrown away 4 books in my lifetime. I pained me greatly at the time, but they had somehow become wet and developed mold, making it impossible to pass them along to anyone.

I still get a rush when I walk into a library or a bookstore. The possibilities that stretch out in all those rows of books is exciting! I can spend hours roaming the aisles of Chapter's, poring over the the laden shelves, switching my attention from fiction to autobiographies to cookbooks to travel to the classics to children's books ... well, most every subject available, frankly. Then, arms laden with my choices, I stand in line, much as I did years before as a child, waiting to get home and start reading.

A while back, I met a really special guy who is perfect in every way. We agree on everything. Wellllllll ... almost everything. This guy is green. He recycles, has e-subscriptions to all his periodicals, and is a huge proponent of reading books off his iPad.

Ewwwwww! Ick ick ick!!! Phooey! Blech and boooooooooooo!!!

To my mind, part of the pleasure I take out of reading is the feeling of holding the book, the tactile sensation of turning the pages, the auditory sensation of hearing the pages turn, the olfactory sensation of either that new book ink smell or that slightly musty old book smell. Nothing can replace the heft of a hardcover book and no tablet, while certainly able to replicate the sound of a turning page, will convince me that brushing my fingertip against a pane of cold glass is the same as the feel of a real page under that same fingertip.

So we have an ongoing dispute that comes up every so often, usually brought up when he whips out his iPad or when I dig into my carry on for a real book. We have accepted that neither person's opinion is likely to change, even though he still believes that I will buckle and convert. (Don't hold your breath, m'love!)

So, how do you prefer your written word? Old school or the new fangled way? Leave your comments below and hopefully, I will be able to prove to him that technology hasn't won over on this subject!

... and none for me either!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I feel myself yearning for that tactile sensation of turning the pages while reading on my iPad, I run my fingers through the 20's I've saved by buying e-books. Mr. B

Lou said...

I want to feel the book in my hand.

However, a friend of mine asked me to read a copy of a book she had contributed to as part of an audio book - it is on Kindle. My phone has a Kindle reader so I have been reading the book a little at a time. It is a different experience but we all need to try them out.

Mitch Dagen said...

Well i did get a Kindle, and i must say i was once a book reader just like you Elaine. I was hesitant to buy it. But in the end as like all technologies we must go forth and experiment. If we had been hard headed and still went by the old fashioned ways od doing things, yes there would be still millions working instead of being laid off. Think off all the manure we would be picking up on all our beautiful gravel roads, instead off driving off in 200 horse powered vehicules. Candlemen lighting posts everywhere if we didn't have electricity. What about no refrigerators? The ice man goign door to door selling ice. Yes we can go on and on. The point is we must evolve and go with the flow of things. It isn't always easy getting rid of old habits and lifestyles. If we didn't we would still be living in caves. Hmmm maybe not a bad idea to go back to. So the Kindle or the musty smell of a good book? Not an easy choice, but with billions of people on this planet, i guess the better choice would be to save trees. AND then again, who knows how much we polute fabricating E-Reading devices? I guess you will have to find the answer on your own!!!! ;-))

Terry said...

I prefer a good book anyday to an electronic device. Although I did download Mr. Dagenais' book and enjoyed it, I like a book in my hands. I too, grew up reading everything possible and my way to spend a relaxing day is reading. Tom also feels this way, so when we both have a chance to relax, we both read. To go into a book store is like a candy store for both of us. Not sure I feel this way about a hard computer......plus I always recycle my books to good friends, so they too are happy...:)

Walter said...

For me, it's a similar experience as walking the isles of a Home Depot.....could spend hours in their. Books, not really my thing though my wife and kids love reading and visit Chapters and the library often. Now reading on my Mac or eBook.....yeah, that's more me. I can have hundreds of books, mags, etc rather than lugging around timber.
As for smell, new tools, old tools, new electronics, new car smell.....mmmmmmmmmm.

Colin said...

You made me laugh when you said that you read the shampoo bottles in the shower. I used to do that too. I remember devouring The Hardy Boys books when I was a kid and then from there I discovered the St Michel library. Similar story to you. I did however just recently purchase a Kobo loaded with 100 older novels, some classics for reading on the GO train and subway on the 1.5 hour commute to work. I've since added an SD card loaded with the 2011 New York Times Bestseller list for a total of 172 books. I still prefer having an actual paper book in my hands but I'll tell ya the Kobo is definitely lighter to carry around than 172 books. Good thing bits and bytes don't weigh anything.