Thursday, December 23, 2010

On the eleventh day of Christmas . . .

Coming home from a fun filled evening spent with Robbie, I was mentally writing this posting. I'd chosen the day's song and as fate would have it, CHOM even played it, calling it the most awkward coupling ever. I agree wholeheartedly. I mean, how could throwing together an androgynous glam rocker with a child beating traditional crooner be anything but awkward?!? Don't believe me? Take a look for yourself ... while you're at it, try and decide who's wearing more eye makeup!

But, I'm a Canuck and as such, I'm duty bound to include at least one homegrown sampling on this playlist. And what better offering than one whose title encompasses the whole spirit of this latest blogging venture of mine?

12 Days of Christmas - Bob & Doug McKenzie

Bob (Rick Moranis) and Doug (Dave Thomas) McKenzie are a pair of fictional Canadian brothers who hosted 'The Great White North', an SCTV sketch. Quickly becoming a pop culture phenomenon on both sides of the border, the characters were later revived for an animated series, Bob & Doug. The sketch also prompted an album in 1982, The Great White North, which included the brothers' improvised version of The Twelve Days of Christmas. While hugely popular in the US, the album was also #1 in Canada for six weeks.

No comments: