Friday, December 24, 2010

On the twelfth day of Christmas . . .

I know I started off this series by saying I'd be featuring songs that CHOM would play. For this last posting, I'm deviating from the plan. Firstly, this is my blog and I get to veer off track whenever I feel like it and lastly, I'm a woman and my very gender gives me carte blanche to change my mind in mid-sentence, mid-step or mid-life.

I had an extremely happy childhood. Christmastime found me indulging in festivities twice - once on the 25th of December and then again two weeks later on January 7th. Not twice the prezzies, mind you, but twice the holiday feeling. Christmas Eve evokes two powerful memories ... our tree, a turquoise blue/green silvery ghastly monstrosity which at the same time was and will always be the most beautiful Christmas tree I'll ever see and the sound of Christmas carols being played on the stereo in the living room. We heard them all: Bing, The Chipmunks, JudyDean, PerryElla ... but nothing means Christmas Eve to me more than one of the most powerful Christmas carols sung by one of the most powerful voices ever ... enjoy .. (it's) the night before Christmas ...

Silent Night - Mahalia Jackson

No comments: